In 2019, the purchase of the best television can be a huge task as the technology evolves daily. This TV buying guide will help you select the Best TV in India.
Which TV size is perfect for you?
The right TV size creates an immersive experience like film. You may feel a loss of clarity if it’s too large or too close and you even have to move your neck side by side, like in tennis matches. In turn, you will be squinting on smaller details with a small screen.
Identify 2 aspects to find the right size:
- Distance between your sofa and the TV
- Resolution of the TV
Check the table to find the recommended TV for your viewing distance
|Viewing Distance (Feet)||Screen Size (Inches)||Resolution|
|5-10||40" - 43"||Full HD TV|
|8-13||55"||Full HD or 4K|
|8 -15 or Above||65" or Above||4K|
What display should I select?
Display type This defines the picture quality your TV can produce. Popular types of displays are— LED, QLED and OLED. All of these use LED technology, and older technology like LCD or Plasma are not popular any more. Most LED TVs give you a satisfactory viewing experience. See the table below for details on the comparison of LED, QLED and OLED TVs.
|Light Source||Edge-Lit/Back-Lit LEDs||LEDs with Quantum Dot Panel||Individually lit pixels|
|Brightness||Great||Great in any lighting conditions||Great in any lighting conditions|
|Colors||Good||Good with perfect whites||Good with perfect blacks|
|Starting Cost||~45,000 for 55inch TVs||~2,00,000 for 55inch TVs||~2,00,000 for 55inch TVs|
Higher Resolution = Sharper image and more clarity
- Resolution is the number of pixels on display (w x h)
- Higher number of pixels delivers higher clarity and sharpness
- 3 resolutions available today are HD Ready (720p), Full HD (1080p), 4K (2160p)
Higher refresh rate = Smoother images + no blurring in fast motion
- Refresh rate is the number of times an image is changed per second on the TV screen.
- It is measured in Hz or Frames per second (FPS).
- Traditionally a movie is shot at 24 Hz.
- Human eye can usually see differences of up to 50-60 Hz.
- TV with higher refresh rates are for those looking to watch fast paced content like sports, action movies, or gaming.
Higher contrast ratio = More visible details in scene
- High contrast ratio leads to clearer pictures with all details visible, even in dark scenes.
- Lower contrast ratio makes blacks look gray, with some details of the picture being lost.
HDR or High Dynamic Range
“HDR produces the most vivid, true to life images with rich colors”
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a new way to produce more colors, more brightness and more dark scenes all at once on the screen.
- Two HDR Standards are HDR 10 (or HDR Pro) and Dolby Vision. TVs with these certifications produce more colors and give better picture quality.
- Smart TVs connect to the internet through your home WiFi or LAN cable.
- Access the wide world of on-demand videos, movies and games through apps.
- Cast photos, videos or play games from your phone onto the TV’s big screen.
- Surf internet on the Smart TV or use social media apps to stay connected.
What should be taken into consideration when selecting a Smart TV?
- Operating system (OS) and interface
- RAM & Storage
- Phone mirroring and casting
- Remote and navigation
Operating system (OS) and interface
- Google Certified Android TVs: Considered the best as they let you access to a wide variety of apps and content using the Google Play Store.
- Android based Smart TVs: Most Smart TVs use the base Android OS, and add their own interface and software layers. These however are not the certified android OS, and hence, will usually have lower number of pre-loaded apps, or apps available for download.
- TVs with their own OS: Samsung TVs run their own Tizen OS while LG TVs run on the WebOS. These have the popular apps on them too, and you can consider buying them if all the apps you needed are available.
You can check Best Smart TVs in India 2019 featuring TVs with their own OS.
RAM and storage
- Higher the RAM, smoother and more lag free.
- For most uses, 2GB RAM should be enough.
Storage (or internal memory):
- Higher the storage, the more content and apps you the experience. can keep on your TV.
- Usually, 8 GB storage should allow for most apps and some more movies to be stored.
Phone mirroring and casting
- Cast or duplicate the screen of your phone onto your TV’s screen.
- See photos, play videos from your phone on the TV.
- This can be in-built in the TV or you can download a mirroring app from the app store of your TV.
Ensure that the TV you choose is easy to navigate through the remote. Common functionalities to look for:
Speak into your remote to search for content/open apps.
Air mouse / Air remote
You can simply point the remote to the point on TV you want to go to and the cursor will move there.
Mobile phone led control
Some TVs also allow to control the TV using mobile phone apps. This can help if you don’t want to use traditional remotes.
Most useful ports you should look for are:
- Transfers audio/video
- Best Quality
- Number of HDMI you need = number of devices you want connect at the same time.
- Transfers audio/video
- Number of USB you need = number of devices you want connect at the same time.
“Higher watts means louder sound”
Top things to keep in mind:
- Measured in watts.
- Generally, higher the wattage, louder the sound.
- Special sound modes like sports, cinema, movie, music. These adjust the volume automatically to suit what you’re watching.
- Some TV speakers are Dolby Digital or DTS Premium.
- Some TVs come with audio from experts like Harman Kardon.